Vegan paleo chocolate cinnamon cookies. Easy to make and very delicious!
2 tablespoon (30ml) coconut oil
2 tablespoon (30ml) almond butter (or tahini)
1/2 cup (75g) coconut sugar
3 tablespoons (45ml) flax egg (see intro)
2 tablespoon (30ml) molasses (cane or date)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (100g) almond flour
1/4 cup (20g) cacao powder
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 pieces dark chocolate, chunks or discs (about 50g)
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the oil, almond butter and coconut sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Add the flax egg, molasses and vanilla. Stir to combine and set aside.
2. In another medium bowl mix together the flour with the cacao powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. I like to sift the cacao powder to make sure there are no clumps.
3. Add the liquid mixture to the dry and fold together until no dry mixture remains. Cover and place the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes, or up to 48 hours.
4. Fifteen minutes before you would like to bake the cookies, pre-heat the oven to 350F or 160C. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
5. Take the cookie dough out of the fridge. In a small bowl mix together the coating ingredients and have the chocolate discs or chunks ready.
6. Using a small ice cream scoop or 1 tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop out a rounded tablespoon of dough, inserting the dark chocolate into the centre and rolling the dough around it. Then roll in the coating mixer and place on the baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 1 inch apart. Continue with the rest of the mixture, or the amount you plan on baking for that day.
7. Bake for 7-9 minutes. The cookies might crack slightly. They will look dry but still soft on the side. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy warm.
The cookie dough needs time to firm up in the fridge, about 30 minutes. The dough can also be stored for 48 hours in the fridge. The cookies are best consumed warm while the chocolate in the middle is still melted.