Download your FREE ebook!
Granola recipes are quite adaptable as long as you keep the ratio of dry to liquid ingredients the same.
3 cups (300g) rolled oats
1 cup (85g) almonds falkes
1/2 cup (35g) coconut flakes
1/2 cup (80g) seeds (hemp, sunflower, pumpkin)
3-4 tablespoons cacao powder
2 tablespoons cacao nibs (optional)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup (240ml) freshly squeezed orange juice (or water)
2/3 cup (120g) coconut sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 325F or 160C.
2. In a large bowl mix together the oats, almonds, coconut flakes, seeds, cacao powder, cacao nibs and cinnamon.
3. In a small saucepan, add the remaining 1/2 cup oats and orange juice. Simmer for 5-7minutes until creamy, stirring frequently. Add the sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil, orange zest if using, vanilla and salt. Stir for about 1 minute until the sugar dissolves and everything is nicely combined.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour over the dry mixture, stirring to incorporate. Once it’s cool enough to use your hands, get in their to make sure the wet mixture has been mixed well.
5. Transfer the mixture to a large baking sheet (no need to line it), and spread it out as evenly as possible. It will be approximately 0.5cm thick and about 28cm width x 38cm length. Try to keep the edges slightly thicker than the middle.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Take it out and using a metal spatula flip the outer edges all around as they bake faster. About 5 cm in. Return to the oven to bake for 15 minutes. Take it out again this time flipping all the granola over as best you can. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes longer until the chunks start to crisp up and turn a dark brown.
7. Let cool completely on the baking sheet before breaking into chunks and storing in an airtight container.