Download your FREE ebook!
100g dark chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup (80ml) aquafaba
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
2 1/2 cups (200g) shredded or desiccated coconut
2/3 cup (100g) coconut sugar, powdered
1/2 cup (70g) pitted dates, chopped
1/2 cup (70g) raw almonds, chopped
1/2 cup (60g) raw pistachios, chopped
1 tablespoon psyllium husk or 2 teaspoon powder (optional)
1 teaspoon cardamom powder (optional)
50ml coconut oil, melted
Tahini Sauce and Topping:
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
melted dark chocolate
1. Line a 9inch round or square loose bottom or cheesecake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler or microwave then pour on the parchment lined pan, spreading out evenly. Place in the fridge to set about 20mins.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 375F or 190C.
4. In a small bowl mix the aquafaba with the flax meal and set aside to thicken. Otherwise you can use 2 eggs.
5. In a large mix together the shredded coconut, coconut sugar, dates, almonds, pistachios, psyllium, and cardamom. Add in the coconut oil, tahini and aquafaba mix. Mix just until all the ingredients are incorporated.
6. Take the pan out of the fridge making sure the chocolate has now set, and transfer the coconut mixture on top of the chocolate, spreading it evenly.
7. Place the pan on a baking sheet, and transfer to the oven to bake for about 20 mins until the coconut turns gold brown around the edges.
8. Let cool completely then place in the fridge for at least 1 hour before slicing. This cake can crumble easily if sliced while warm.
9. If serving with the sauce, mix the sauce tahini with the maple syrup and milk, then drizzle over the top of the cake, following by the melted chocolate.
Adapted from Coconut Slice recipe in Genius Desserts