Download your FREE ebook!
80g (almost 1 cup) rolled oats
200g (1 1/4 cups) whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon salt
80g (1/2 cup) mixed seeds (sesame, nigella, pumpkin, flax, poppy)
300ml (1 1/4 cups) buttermilk or oat milk mixed with 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
40ml (8 teaspoons) grapeseed or olive oil
100g (1/3 cup) molasses
35g (1/4 cup) mixed seeds and oats
Scant 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375F or 190C. Line 3 mini loaf pans (15cm by 8cm) or 1 large loaf pan with parchment paper and place on a baking sheet. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix together the oats, flour, and baking powder. Then add the seeds and mix in.
3. In a medium bowl mix together the starter, milk, oil, and molasses. Add to the dry mixture and mix until no flour is visible.
4. Pour the mixture into the pan(s) – if using the mini pans it’s about 300g each. Then sprinkle the seeds and flaky salt evenly on top.
5. Transfer the pans on the baking sheet to the oven, and bake for 30minutes if using the mini loaves, and 35-40 mins if using the large loaf pan, just until the top is firm when pressed lightly in the center.
6. Let cool for about 5mins, then remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 15 mins before slicing.
If you don’t have Sourdough culture increase the flour to 1 3/4 cups (280g) and the oat milk to 350ml mixed with 2 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar. If you are going to use buttermilk then no need for the vinegar, and just use 350ml.