The pancake cereal trend on TikTok just got better! If this is new to you, a few months back mini pancakes served with milk or maple syrup became very popular on the internet, first with TikTok and then everywhere else! It takes quite some time to make, and once you are done the pancakes are cold. So I came up with the genius idea (I’m so humble right?) of spraying them with a little oil and reheating them in the air-fryer for 3-4 minutes…you end up with warm and crispy pancakes that are so much fun to eat, whether you are a kid or adult.
The recipe below may not be the healthiest, but they make really good tiny pancakes. I’ve also made them using this vegan recipe and this oat flour chocolate recipe, but they are just a little more tricky, as the batter is thicker. It’s your choice.
I used a squeezy bottle similar to this one which makes the job easier and faster.
I honestly don’t know how many tiny pancakes this recipe makes, probably more than 100. Once cooled store in an air-tight container and re-heat in the air-fryer before serving.
If you don’t have an air-fryer, you can certainly warm up the pancakes in the oven. And if you are contemplating buying an air-fryer, check out this post to help make up your mind.
Crispy mini pancakes in the air-fryer to enjoy for breakfast while you watch your favorite TikTok videos
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon sugar or maple syrup
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 milk of choice
3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To serve: milk, maple syrup
1. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar (if using maple syrup add with the wet ingredients later), baking powder, and salt.
2. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, mix the milk, egg, butter or oil and vanilla (add maple syrup if using).
3. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix just to combine and no flour is visible.
4. Heat your frying pan on medium, adding oil if needed, and once warm carefully spoon about a teaspoon of batter onto the pan, about the size of 100fils or width of 2cm. I usually make 5-6 mini pancakes at a time as by the time you spoon them on to the pan, you quickly need to start flipping. Once I’ve flipped the first batch, I spoon in the next batch, and continue until all the batter is done.
5. Place the pancakes on a wire rack to cool (a plate also works).
6. To serve, place the portion of pancakes you would like in the air-fryer basket and spray with a little oil. Heat at 175C for 2 minutes, then open the basket and spray again and heat again for 1-2 minutes more until you get crispy crunchy mini pancakes.
7. Serve with milk or a drizzle of maple syrup.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 days or freezer for much longer.